Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center

University of Maryland • College Park, Maryland

A 187,000-SF Collaborative Learning and Lab Building

The development of the University of Maryland’s new Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center encompassed the renovation of 27,400 square feet of the historic Holzapfel Hall (built in 1930) along with 160,000 square feet of new construction. The first new building on the campus dedicated solely to classroom/laboratory space in 50 years, the center is equipped with state-of-the-art instructional technology managed from a central technology service unit.

Mueller Associates provided complete MEP engineering for the building, which is designed to accommodate as many as 12,000 students a day. Spaces include 11 high-tech classrooms, nine chemistry labs, four cafes, student lounge areas, and seven glass-enclosed “huddle rooms” for group study and collaboration. The building includes chilled water and heating water generation and distribution equipment. The chilled water plant is also connected with multiple campus buildings.

Construction Time-Lapse

Architect

Ayers Saint Gross

LEED Facts

Leed Silver or Gold Pending

LEED® Facts

“Take a Look Inside UMD’s Newest Classroom Building”

Baltimore Business Journal

View additional Science/Technology, Higher Ed/Research Lab, and Academic projects

  • This signature building is destined to be one of the most popular and heavily used on campus and it is a dramatic step forward educationally.

    Wallace D. Loh
    President, University of Maryland
  • This signature building is destined to be one of the most popular and heavily used on campus and it is a dramatic step forward educationally.

    Wallace D. Loh
    President, University of Maryland