Mechanical Hall

University of Delaware • Newark, Delaware

Renovation of a Historic Two-Story Building for Use as an Art Gallery

Built in 1898, Mechanical Hall on the University of Delaware’s Newark campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The two-story brick and timber structure was originally used as a classroom building and machine shop for the engineering program. The renovation of the 13,500-square-foot building allowed for its conversion to a state-of-the-art museum and gallery space, now home to the renowned Paul R. Jones Collection of African-American art. Features include three galleries, a study, a conservation room, art storage spaces, faculty offices, a conference room, and a new glass entrance vestibule. The Mueller team worked closely with the architect and the university to meet goals for minimizing energy use while ensuring appropriate temperature and humidity controls for the display and preservation of the collection.

Architect

Ziger/Snead Architects

Client History

2015: Harrington Hall Renovation; ABHA Architects
2013: Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Laboratory; Ayers Saint Gross
2008: Lerner Financial Technology Center, Purnell Hall; Read & Company
2008: Russell Dormitory and Dining Hall: ABHA Architects
2007: Admissions Building; Ayers Saint Gross
2006: Roselle Center for the Arts; Ayers Saint Gross
2006: President’s House Renovation; Ziger/Snead Architects
2005: Master Plan; Mueller Associates
2003: Wolf Hall; Ayers Saint Gross
2003: Mechanical Hall; Ziger/Snead Architects
1986: Morris Library; RCG Architects

View additional Museum, Preservation, and Education projects